using (in-readtable) to select a readtable

João Távora joaotavora at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 19:10:25 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 1:21 PM, 73budden . <budden73 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It is SLIME-specific problem. I hope I have already described the
> problem in previous posts. E.g. you type in SLIME:
> Of course, we can not say it is completely unpredictible, but is
> rather hard to predict sometimes.

OK, I see, if does seem to be SLIME-specific so it shouldn't affect my
implementation.

>>Another thing I don't fully understand in your idea (but I did
>>reimplement it that way) is why the readtable information has to go on
>>every Emacs->Lisp request,
> E.g. request can contain (read-from-string), which can occur in proper
> readtable context. But frankly, I just copied package-related policy
> to readtables without any serious design work :)

Yes, but even if they contain READ-FROM-STRING or friends it should
only need/use the new readtable if WITH-BUFFER-SYNTAX eventually gets used,
which is a small subset of the Lisp-side operations. As you say, it's
the same with
the package setting though, so perhaps it does make sense to mimic it.

João Távora