[Slime-devel] I think I need a little help

Paul Bowyer pbowyer at olynet.com
Wed May 21 22:49:11 UTC 2014

On 05/21/2014 10:29 AM, João Távora wrote:
> Luís Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:10 AM, Paul Bowyer <pbowyer at olynet.com> wrote:
>>> I've recently tried to use Emacs 24.1.1 which is available from the
>>> repository of Linux Mint and I cannot get slime to run properly with it.
>> [...]
>>> The message I get in the emacs message when I try ALT-x slime window is:
>>> define-slime-contrib: Symbol's value as variable is void:
>>> --cl---cl-var--11849--
>> [...]
>>> make compile
>> I think 24.1 has some issues with lexical binding. João suggests a
>> workaround here:
>> <https://github.com/slime/slime/issues/122#issuecomment-36518247>.
> Specifically Paul, you should attempt to *not* byte-compile slime with
> "make compile" at all, just byte-compile
> contrib/slime-presentations.el. Here's what that comment contains:
>
>      OK, I've found the solution. You must byte-compile the
>      contrib/slime-presentations.el. So to summarize:
>
>      If you're on Emacs 24.1 or Emacs 24.2 and using slime-fancy or
>      slime-presentations you must byte-compile just
>      contrib/slime-presentations.el via M-x byte-compile-file
>
>> Alternatively, you could upgrade your Emacs to 24.3 if that's feasible
>> for you.
> This is a much preferred alternative. have a look at
> http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-emacs-24-3-on-ubuntu-13-10-13-04-12-10-12-04-linux-mint-15-14-13-and-elementary-os-0-2-luna/
>
> On Ubuntu 14.04 Emacs 24.3 is the default in the official repositories,
> think. I believe there must be a Mint version based on 14.04.
>
> João

Hello João,

Thanks for the link showing me how to get emacs 24,3. I followed the
instructions and it installed without problems. I was still having the
same problem starting slime in it until I disabled the instructions to
run the test suite in my install script. Then slime loaded without a
hitch the first time.

On subsequent loads, I sometimes get a window in emacs named *sldb
nil/1* with:
Interrupt thread failed: thread #<THREAD "Swank 44066" FINISHED values:
NIL {10033EB6A3}> has exited.
    [Condition of type SB-THREAD:INTERRUPT-THREAD-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [ABORT] Abort thread (#<THREAD "Swank Sentinel" RUNNING {10033EB2C3}>)

Backtrace:
   0: (SB-THREAD:INTERRUPT-THREAD #<SB-THREAD:THREAD "Swank 44066"
FINISHED values: NIL {10033EB6A3}> #<FUNCTION (LAMBDA NIL :IN
SB-THREAD:TERMINATE-THREAD) {1001C9062B}>)
I can select abort and it closes the debug window and leaves the slime
repl running.
This debug window doesn't always occur. If I wait for awhile before
restarting emacs and slime, it sometimes comes up without the debug
window. More often than not, the debug window comes up.

In my install script, I just delete the slime folder and then do:

git clone https://github.com/slime/slime.git
cd ~/my-slime-sandbox/slime
#change to doc folder and make the docs
#change back to slime folder
#then run
make clean check
make check-fancy

That way I get the latest slime with the test suite run to check for
errors. It's a small download so it doesn't take much time to do it that
way.

It seems that "make clean check" and/or "make check-fancy" byte-compile
many/all of the files in the contrib folder which causes slime to fail
when I do ALT-x slime in emacs.
I can add a line in my install script to remove all ".elc" files in the
contrib folder...

In looking at the slime Makefile, I noticed that make check does a
compile...

Also, the test suite fails with:
In toplevel form:
slime-fancy.el:9:24:Error: Symbol's function definition is void: defun*
make[1]: *** [slime-fancy.elc] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pfb/my-slime-sandbox/slime/contrib'
make: *** [check-fancy] Error 2

So it currently does no good to run it from my install script. It would
be nice to be able to do that so I can check for errors...

I hope this info helps a little,

Paul Bowyer