[Slime-devel] I think I need a little help

João Távora joaotavora at gmail.com
Wed May 21 17:29:21 UTC 2014

Luís Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:10 AM, Paul Bowyer <pbowyer at olynet.com> wrote:
>> I've recently tried to use Emacs 24.1.1 which is available from the
>> repository of Linux Mint and I cannot get slime to run properly with it.
> [...]
>> The message I get in the emacs message when I try ALT-x slime window is:
>> define-slime-contrib: Symbol's value as variable is void:
>> --cl---cl-var--11849--
> [...]
>> make compile
>
> I think 24.1 has some issues with lexical binding. João suggests a
> workaround here:
> <https://github.com/slime/slime/issues/122#issuecomment-36518247>.

Specifically Paul, you should attempt to *not* byte-compile slime with
"make compile" at all, just byte-compile
contrib/slime-presentations.el. Here's what that comment contains:

    OK, I've found the solution. You must byte-compile the
    contrib/slime-presentations.el. So to summarize:

    If you're on Emacs 24.1 or Emacs 24.2 and using slime-fancy or
    slime-presentations you must byte-compile just
    contrib/slime-presentations.el via M-x byte-compile-file

> Alternatively, you could upgrade your Emacs to 24.3 if that's feasible
> for you.

This is a much preferred alternative. have a look at
http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-emacs-24-3-on-ubuntu-13-10-13-04-12-10-12-04-linux-mint-15-14-13-and-elementary-os-0-2-luna/

On Ubuntu 14.04 Emacs 24.3 is the default in the official repositories,
think. I believe there must be a Mint version based on 14.04.

João