Fwd: Patch for customizing Allegro temp file and directory

João Távora joaotavora at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:15:04 UTC 2014

Dave Cooper <gendl at genworks.com> writes:

> Dear Slime Maintainers,
>
> Please consider applying the attached patch, which affects
> swank-allegro.lisp and allows customization of the temporary
> directory for Allegro CL. It turns out that Allegro's
> (system:temporary-directory) [which is the default directory used by
> system:make-temp-file-name] can sometimes get confused on Windows in
> situations such as with certain network filesystem configurations.
>
> We will follow up with Franz to understand in more detail what can
> cause the confusion, but in any case I think it will be useful to be
> able to customize the location of Slime's temporary files without
> modifying Slime sources.

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the delay in answering this, I've recently been bitten by the
same problem and I've found that setting SYS:*TEMPORARY-DIRECTORY* to
NIL (or to something else) unconfuses Allegro CL. As soon as it has been
set once, SYS:MAKE-TEMP-FILE-NAME is should never be confused again, and
should follow the algorithm described in:

   http://franz.com/support/documentation/current/doc/operators/system/temporary-directory.htm

So swank-allegro.lisp should function correctly and the variables you
suggest are provided by Allegro themselves.

Did you follow up with Franz on this problem?

João