slime on github

João Távora joaotavora at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 21:10:06 UTC 2014

Paul Bowyer <pbowyer at olynet.com> writes:

> This morning, I downloaded the latest slime from github. I did the
> "make ensure_ert", "make clean" and "make compile" thing, but I did
> not notice cl-lib.el before doing "make compile". Since it seemed to

"ensure_ert" doesn't pull in cl-lib, it pulls in ert. "ensure_cl_lib"
does pulls in cl-lib.el and the "compile" target depends on
"ensure_cl_lib", which I think explains your observations.

Anyway I'm starting to think we shold bundle cl-lib.el (and ert.el as
well for good measure). Travis CI fails lately because the site it
downlaods cl-lib.el from is down.

The only thing that bugs me is the growing list of "bundled" third party
files at to plevel. Helmut, can we move these to a new "vendor" dir?
Maybe not hyperspec.el, unless we:

* add "vendor" directly to the load-path as well.

* we complicate the non-autoload installation recipe. The autoload file
  can set the hyperspec autoload to "vendor/hyperspec".

I prefer the second.

> Is it now OK to run slime without loading cl-lib.el or is it still
> necessary to load it? I could not determine a difference when starting
> slime without and with it.

On Emacs 23 it has to either be loaded or be in your load-path. Emacs's
`require' takes care of the rest.

> I also took a quick look at the changes in the slime manual and notice
> one small typo
> "git diff HEAD origin/master ChangeLo" in "2.2.2 Git incantations" but
> otherwise it seemed OK in my cursory examination.

OK.

> I experimented some more by starting slime with/without loading
> cl-lib.el and I noticed some more messages that were not dependent on
> the loading of cl-lib.el.
>
> error in process filter: ad-Orig-slime-repl-emit: Text is read-only
> error in process filter: Text is read-only
>
> The messages showed whether or not I loaded cl-lib.el, but I didn't
> notice any ill effects when I used some of the slime menu commands.

Funny. `slime-repl-emit' doesn't have any advice set. Maybe you do so in
your ~/.emacs? Can you reproduce this with emacs -Q and paste the
reproduction recipe here?

João