slime on github

Paul Bowyer pbowyer at olynet.com
Thu Jan 9 16:30:54 UTC 2014

On 01/09/2014 04:15 AM, João Távora wrote:
> Paul Bowyer <pbowyer at olynet.com> writes:
>
>> I've recently become aware the slime is now on github, so I downloaded and
>> installed a copy. It ran, but there is a window in my copy of emacs-23.4.1
>> filled with warnings related to ert.el which indicate that it can't be found.
>>
>>   A list of the warnings:
>> Warning (emacs): No ert.el found: not defining test enclosing-context.1
>> Warning (emacs): No ert.el found: not defining test
>> find-local-definitions.1
> These are just warnings about slime's self-tests. You needn't worry
> about them. Actually, you wouldn't see them if 'slime-tests.el' weren't
> loaded, but it is everytime you load a contrib for normal usage (it
> shouldn't be so and this will be fixed).
>
>> I looked around for a copy of ert.el and ert-x.el and I found a couple of files
>> that looked reasonable, but they won't load so I wonder if you know how to get
>> those files that are compatible with emacs-23.4.1?
> In the current, "make ensure_ert" should make sure they are
> downloaded. "make clean" and "make compile" should do the rest. In the
> future they will probably be bundled.
>
>> The github copy of slime seems to load OK, but I haven't really tried using it
>> for development with the warnings I was getting.
> The new developments are ambitious and there will be instability with
> the trunk. To be on the safe side clone the SLIME_2 tag for now. Before
> long, we will release a version that fixes these ert-related issues and
> possibly bundles

Hello João,

Following your instructions did the trick after I re-enabled loading
cl-lib in my .emacs file. I'm still using whatever I downloaded using
"git clone https://github.com/slime/slime.git" (It's the master branch).
If I have problems I'll try the SLIME_2 tag.

As a suggestion, the documentation should also be upgraded to reflect
the change to github and any other new features that are added.

Thanks,

Paul Bowyer