[Slime-devel] [slime-devel] Setting up swank contrib source paths

João Távora joaotavora at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 01:47:31 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Gayane Kazhoyan <gayanek at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I guess, what I want is currently impossible, I'll just have to try to
> keep my CL contribs in the same directory.

It's almost possible, but the slime-hello-world example is designed to work with
the code in the "choose-swank-loading-method" branch, which isn't merged into
the trunk yet.

This branch is close to it's final state it's just waiting for a review and some
testing, and this is where you can help.

You should be able to:

   (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/slime-hello-world")
   (add-to-list 'slime-contribs 'slime-hello-world)

and then

   M-x slime

It should also work if you M-x slime-connect to some running lisp. And it should
even work if, after setting up `slime-contribs', you call M-x slime-setup with
some lisps already running.

If it doesn't, be sure to add a comment to
https://github.com/slime/slime/pull/83.

Notice also that the code in should work with or without ASDF, but it does
prefer ASDF for loading swank, if it finds it.

Another advantage is that if you don't want lisp code for a particular contrib,
you can just ensure it's not in your Emacs's slime-contribs
variable. swank-asdf.lisp, for example, is sometimes hard to control and will
annoyingly kill the lisp with little warning if your asdf is not the right
version.

João