[Slime-devel] [slime-devel] .swank.lisp

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Wed Apr 16 15:51:48 UTC 2014

Gayane Kazhoyan <gayanek at gmail.com> writes:

> Hey,
>
> I wanted to pass some s-exps to my Lisp implementation on slime startup and
> figured out that putting some code into .swank.lisp works. So, in my case
> it was telling the SBCL compiler where it's sources are:
>
> (sb-ext:set-sbcl-source-location "~/workspace/lisp/sbcl/")
>
> It looks to me that this solution is quite hacky: writing implementation
> specific code in the general swank setup file. Does anyone know when and
> from whom this file is actually being called? Couldn't find anything in the
> slime / swank sources.
> And the other question is: Is there actually a better way to do this? Maybe
> adding a hook on slime-load-hook and executing stuff with slime-rex or
> something like that...

I put that kind of SBCL-specific stuff in the SBCL startup file,
~/.sbclrc.

If I wanted to run SBCL-specific stuff during swank initialization, I
think I would probably put something like this in the swank init file:

  #+sbcl
  (load "~/.swank-sbcl.lisp")

It's hard for me to imagine a situation where I'd want to do that,
though.

Zach