[Slime-devel] slime 2.4 with emacs 24.3.50: Loading problems after M-x slime

João Távora joaotavora at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 15:47:47 UTC 2014

Sian Mountbatten <poenikatu at fastmail.co.uk> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I'm using Debian GNU/Linux (jessie) on amd64 architecture.
>
> Usually, I do not have any problems with starting slime, but, now,
> whenever I issue the command "M-x slime" in Emacs, I get lots of
> STYLE-WARNING messages from sbcl showing redefinitions of swank
> functions, followed by "Polling" messages suggesting that I issue the
> command "M-x slime-abort-connection".
>
> I have uploaded the part of my ~/.emacs.d/init.el file concerning the
> Slime connection to http://paste.lisp.org/+31M2.

This is really not enough to investigate your problem since I don't know
what you have"/opt/ql/slime-helper.el" and I also don't know what kind
of code you have compiled in your /opt/sbcl/lib/sbcl/sbcl.slime-core
file

Can you paste slime-helper.el if it's not too big of a file?

Have you tried launching slime with the official installation recipe,
meaning the following code and nothing else?

   ;; setup load-path and autoloads
   (add-to-list 'load-path "~/dir/to/cloned/slime")
   (require 'slime-autoloads)

   ;; Set your lisp system and, optionally, some contribs
   (setq inferior-lisp-program "/opt/sbcl/bin/sbcl")
   (setq slime-contribs '(slime-fancy))

This should work, then try replacing the penultimate line with

   (setq inferior-lisp-program
      "/opt/sbcl/bin/sbcl --noinform --core /opt/sbcl/lib/sbcl/sbcl.slime-core")

João