Quesstion about Alt-. navigation to function definitions

Jeffrey Cunningham jeffrey at jkcunningham.com
Thu Oct 31 00:26:13 UTC 2013

On 10/30/2013 04:52 PM, Zach Beane wrote:
> Jeffrey Cunningham <jeffrey at jkcunningham.com> writes:
>
>> But what about the very common (for me, at least) case where I want to
>> experiment around with some code that is not intended to go in a
>> package.
> One option is to learn a different way. I start almost every experiment
> with the three-file system of foo.asd, package.lisp, and foo.lisp, which
> makes it and its dependencies trivially quickloadable. And the
> experiments often grow into something I want to save for easy reuse.

I'm fine with learning a different way. Actually, I experimented with
your quickproject utility when you first released it. I like the idea of
it. But the single significant drawback for me is that it seems to
require project files to be located to suit the needs of the tool rather
than the needs of (for me) the work. If I'm contracting for companyX
their files all go somewhere within a companyX folder. Their data goes
there. Their docs. Everything. I can tarball the whole thing up and send
it to them. I can archive it. I can send it to Richard Snowden.
Whatever. It seems to me that the requirements of the package
methodology you are suggesting requires that I either do my contract
work in subdirectories of the quicklisp folder of some other standard
ASD visible folder, or be continually modifying the ASD paths so the
loader knows where to find them. Maybe I haven't just wrapped my head
around it right, but it seems odd to have to build a package just to
load some other packages and use them.

I agree that many, many times what started out experimental developed
into a package I've reused for other projects. I think if I could figure
out how to keep files organized by job rather than by tool I'd be all
for your idea.

--Jeff