[slime-devel] slime-who-calls and the *slime-xref* buffer

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Sun Nov 25 02:58:17 UTC 2012

I'm using a SLIME snapshot from October 13th.

When I use slime-who-calls to list the calls to a function
(e.g. ql-http:fetch), the frame splits, and the window with the xref
info shows something like this:

    /Users/xach/src/quicklisp-client/dist.lisp
      (DEFMETHOD ENSURE-SYSTEM-INDEX-FILE (DIST))
      (DEFMETHOD ENSURE-LOCAL-ARCHIVE-FILE (RELEASE))
      (DEFMETHOD ENSURE-RELEASE-INDEX-FILE (DIST))
      (DEFMETHOD AVAILABLE-VERSIONS (DIST))
    /Users/xach/src/quicklisp-client/dist-update.lisp
      INSTALL-DIST
      (DEFMETHOD AVAILABLE-UPDATE (DIST))

The cursor is placed at the beginning of the first line.

As I move my cursor down in the xref window, the other window jumps to
each use of the function that corresponds to the line containing the
cursor.

However, when the cursor reaches the second file pathname line, the xref
buffer is replaced in the window with a buffer showing the file in
question. I can no longer move up and down in the xref buffer to show
calls to the function.

I expected to be able to continue to use the xref buffer until I hit
SPACE for slime-goto-xref, or used some other window management option
to close it.

Are my expectations reasonable? Have I possibly screwed up my local
configuration? Is the behavior different in CVS slime? What would you
recommend I do?

Thanks,
Zach