[slime-devel] slime's functionality for parsing def forms

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Thu Nov 22 21:21:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 22 2012, Mirko Vukovic wrote:

[...]
> I am looking for slime's functionality to parse the `def' statement.
> It would be nice to obtain the lambda form as well.  Where in the code
> should I look?

SLIME does very little parsing of this kind.  slime-defun-at-point or
slime-symbol-at-point is as sophisticated as it gets.

> Or, maybe there is an existing elisp package that does that?

If you have the source of your definition as string you can pass it to
the Emacs Lisp read function.  That works quite well, as long as you
don't use Common Lisp specific reader macros.  The functions down-list/
forward-list/up-list are also quite useful to parse Lisp code.

Helmut