[slime-devel] cutting and pasting S-expressions from buffer to REPL

Faheem Mitha faheem at faheem.info
Mon May 14 17:35:54 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

I've recently started using SLIME with SBCl on Debian, where SLIME
defaults to using SBCL, at least when it is installed. So far I am very
impressed. I haven't been able to take off and fly yet, but I'm on the
runway.:-)

I'm particularly impressed by the underlining source which has compile
errors, and doing a popup on mouseover feature. I don't know whose idea
this was, but it is pretty damn cool. Does anyone know the history of this
feature?

So, I have a question about SLIME. When debugging, or indeed otherwise, I
find it useful to copy and paste S-expressions from a buffer to the REPL.
I've been using the mouse for this, which is decidedly sub-optimal. I hate
using the mouse. I was thinking that it would be handy to have a command
which would copy and paste S-expressions from a buffer to the REPL, while
at the same time switching the buffer to the REPL. The S-expression would
be chosen by having the cusor to the right of the closing expression. I'm
not sure if this position has a name.

I don't know if this command already exists. I could not find it in the
manual. If it doesn't, could someone tell me what code would tell emacs to
do this? My knowledge of Emacs programming is non-existent.

Please CC me on any reply. Thanks.
                                                            Regards, Faheem