[slime-devel] Unicode character misbehavior?

Jeffrey Cunningham jeffrey at jkcunningham.com
Sat Oct 29 00:54:30 UTC 2011

Try this, Bernard:

Start SBCL in a terminal - not through Slime.

(require 'swank)
(swank:create-server :port 4007 :style :spawn :dont-close t)

Now start emacs, and connect to the running Lisp through swank on 4005:

M-x slime-connect
127.0.0.1
4007

Cut the following from this email and paste it into Slime's REPL and
evaluate it:

(elt "☺" 0)

When I do that Slime dies and the Lisp says:

;; swank:close-connection: end of file on #<SB-IMPL::STRING-INPUT-STREAM
{1002FD93B1}>

Actually, it frequently dies before I can even evaluate it. Just having
that character in the buffer kills the connection.

Jeff