[slime-devel] Unicode character misbehavior?

Jeffrey Cunningham jeffrey at jkcunningham.com
Sat Oct 29 00:34:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 17:14:16 -0700, Bernard Hurley <bernard at marcade.biz>
wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 03:48:22AM +0400, Anton Kovalenko wrote:
>> You need M-x customize-variable <RET> slime-net-coding-system <RET>:
>> set slime-net-coding-system to something like utf-8-unix.
>>

> Jeffrey had said he had been using utf8 coded character sets so I kind
> of assumed he knew this and the problem was somewhere else.
> Mabe I shouldn't jump too quickly to conclusions!
>
> Bernard.

I know I'm running UTF-8 - My .emacs sets it that way on startup:

(setq slime-net-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)

Perhaps I worded the situation incorrectly. What I'm trying to say is that
I can repeatedly crash Slime when I start it this way:

M-x slime-connect <RET>
Host: 127.0.0.1 <RET>
Port: 4005 <RET>

where it is connecting to a running Hunchentoot webserver complied with
swank listening on that port. If I then cut the following from this email:

  (print (char-code "☺"))

, paste it into the REPL:

CL-USER>  (print (char-code "☺")) <RET>

it kills Slime instantly. But not the webserver. I can reconnect by
repeating the slime-connect sequence.

Jeff