[slime-devel] :charpos in swank-fancy-inspector vs :position in slime-ed

Anton Kovalenko anton at sw4me.com
Fri Nov 11 01:27:05 UTC 2011

Hello SLIME developers,

Fancy-inspector module provides a feature that I tried to use today: for
a stream object, it proposes to visit a file and go to current stream
position. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in current SLIME.

In swank-fancy-inspector.lisp, make-pathname-ispec passes a :charpos
keyword, while in slime.el, slime-ed expects :position.

I assume there's a real problem, not just an argument name
incompatibility: for common CL implementations, CL:FILE-POSITION is
measured in bytes, and slime-ed (that ends up in goto-char) expects
character. Assuming unibyte encoding and passing :position argument from
fancy inspector makes this feature useful most of the time, though.

I'm unsure where the real problem (octets-vs-characters) should be fixed;
a problem with argument names looks like a separate one, because what's
passed in :charpos is a byte offset.

--
Regards, Anton Kovalenko <http://github.com/akovalenko/sbcl-win32-threads/wiki>
+7(916)345-34-02 | Elektrostal' MO, Russia