[slime-devel] swank:find-definitions-for-emacs doesn't support definition names other than symbols

Paulo Madeira acelent at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 18:27:13 UTC 2011

M-. in slime no longer accepts dspecs other than symbols, since this
change: http://bit.ly/dWJiDp
I guess that change was made only to accommodate this complaint:
http://bit.ly/fZLIxl

This breaks two use-cases for me: to find a specific definition in ACL
with M-. (method <name> [qualifiers] (<specializers>+)), and to issue
swank:ed-in-emacs in certain IDE hooks/wrappers. I can workaround both
cases by extracting the `second' from the list recursively until I
only have a symbol, and let Slime list me all definitions with that
name, but I believe this is sub-optimal when I already know the
definition I want. I believe this can happen in other implementations
too.

Perhaps using a recursive non-interning reader, e.g. stop reading if
it cannot find-symbol.

Paulo Madeira