[slime-devel] CMUCL raises emacs debugger

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Fri Mar 4 08:00:59 UTC 2011

* Raymond Toy [2011-03-03 20:26] writes:

> On 3/3/11 7:47 AM, Desmond O. Chang wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If slime-net-coding-system is utf-8-unix, emacs will enter backtrace
>> buffer after cmucl startup.  Here is my operation:
>>
>> 1. (setq slime-net-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
>> 2. C-u M-x slime
>> 3. input "lisp -noinit"
>> 4. cmucl starting...
>> 5. cmucl started, but raises emacs debugger
>>
>> This error doesn't occur every time.  If everything is ok, please quit
>> cmucl then restart it, the error should occur now.
>
> FWIW, I can reproduce this.  I don't have such problems with cmucl and
> xemacs, though.  I don't what the cause is, but a backtrace would be useful.

The problem seems to be that (format stream "~6,'0x" length) triggers a
gc-hook which writes something to the stream in the middle of the length
field.  I was able to reproduce it with the March snapshot but not
with the one from December.

Quick workaround: add
(setq swank-backend::*install-gc-hooks* nil)
to ~/.swank.lisp.

We could write the length to a private buffer before writing it to the
stream.  That would probably work most of the time.  I guess, tho, that
any kind of writing to a stream can potentially trigger gc.

Helmut