[slime-devel] bridging the windows -cygwin device (was: cl-workbooks in emacs?)

Mirko Vukovic mirko.vukovic at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 23:01:12 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Fabrice Popineau <
fabrice.popineau at supelec.fr> wrote:

> However, I got a problem with dribble & slime on my windows xp:
>>  - running clisp on cygwin, dribble works fine
>>  - running clisp from slime on emacs-nt, dribble does not work.
>>

> Cygwin is always a PITA. Why don't you try some native win32 lisp : sbcl,
> ccl
> or personal lispworks ? Together with some native win32 emacs.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Fabrice

Calling cygwin's clisp from window's slime is a PITA.  But I find it then
easier to link clisp to stuff that has been developed on linux (that
involves using cffi for example).

Anyways, I made some modest progress today, but hit another roadblock.  I
figured that if I call clisp from the windows command prompt as follows:

bash -c clisp

clisp is launched in a proper cygwin environment, and various commands work
as expected.  In particular (relevant for discussion that follows) all the
paths are cygwin paths (meaning the usual unix-like ones, such as /usr,
/usr/lib, /home, etc).  Dribble works too.

I tried to use the same call with slime by specifying the
inferior-lisp-program as

c:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe -c clisp

clisp starts OK, but swank breaks with

;; Loaded file C:\Documents and Settings\977315\My Documents\.swank.lisp
*** - OPEN: Directory #P"C:\\DOCUME~1\\977315\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\" does not
exist
The following restarts are available:
ABORT          :R1      Abort main loop

But that is not correct.  clisp seems to live in the windows world, because
all the paths are listed as windows paths.  Whereas if I start clisp from a
cygwin bash window, or using the command above, clisp uses cygwin's paths.

Confused ...

Any ideas from the slime wizards?