[slime-devel] slime-interactive-eval into kill ring

Tamas K Papp tkpapp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 09:45:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:20:35 +0200, Helmut Eller wrote:

> * Helmut Eller [2010-09-20 07:53] writes:
>
>> * Tamas K Papp [2010-09-16 10:47] writes:
>>> Ideally, it would be very
>>> handy to have a way to just save the result in the kill ring, then I
>>> could yank it later.
>>
>> Kill-ring sounds good.  Any good ideas what key/prefix to use for this?
>
> Maybe we could continue to use C-u C-x C-e and simply set the mark
> before inserting the result.  After the result is inserted, C-w would
> put it the kill-ring.

I know that this breaks compatibility with earlier versions, but I
would prefer if C-u C-x C-e put the result in the kill ring by
default, then those who need it at that immediate point could just
yank it, others could do that later.

The rationale for this is as follows.  Suppose
(some-complicated-function) evaluates to RESULT.  It happens very
rarely that one needs

(some-complicated-function)RESULT

My typical use cases would be

1. writing

(some-complicated-function)             ; => RESULT

which, under the new definition, could be achieved with

C-u C-x C-e M-; space=> C-y

or

2. putting RESULT in the docstring, which for which I would use C-u
C-x C-e, move the cursor, and yank.

Currently, both of these are a bit more cumbersome than necessary.

Tamas