[slime-devel] Can't load sbcl...

Liam Healy lnp at healy.washington.dc.us
Sun May 23 20:08:59 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Kalyanov Dmitry
<kalyanov.dmitry at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 23 May 2010 19:19:05, Olwe Melwasul wrote:
>> First post here. I'm a newbie to all things lisp. Hopefully this is the
>> place to ask...
>>

> It's probably better to ask on sbcl-help list.
>
>> Alas, the limbo between hand-installed and apt-get wizardry therein I am no
>> doubt lost. Actually, my Emacs (23.1.1), my Slime (1:20090908-1 according
>> to Synaptic) and Clisp were all apt-got. Can this be sorted out? Or must I
>> blitz my hard drive, install NetBSD, Stump, and everything Lisp from
>> source?
>
> The error message is about the CLC package which is the Debian's common-lisp-
> controller (some sort of infrastructure that is now mostly obsoleted). It
> looks like that SLIME in Debian/Ubuntu is set up to use CLC and SBCL doesn't
> know how to load it (because probably Debian's SBCL packages also install
> configuration files). But you probably don't need CLC, so you can just install
> vanilla version of SLIME instead of the one provided in repository.
>
> ----
> Кальянов Дмитрий

Obsolete?  Why do you say that?  Version 7.2 is in unstable
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=common-lisp-controller.
It seems very much alive to me.

Indeed the problem originally reported is that the sbcl is not
clc-ized, having come from an external source, whereas other lisp
tools (like slime) are coming from the repository.  You can check my
blog http://lhealy.livejournal.com/11629.html showing how I clc-ized
CCL, and look at the links there to the "Common Lisp in Debian"
manual.

Liam