[slime-devel] broken clojure REPL

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Mon Jan 11 14:17:14 UTC 2010

"Steven E. Harris" <seh at panix.com> writes:

> > I have not made such a recommendation in my previous mail.
>
> Then I misunderstood your intent. Rereading, is your proposal that there
> should be a reader mode that interprets characters only to resolve them
> to numbers and symbols? How about delimited strings?

Yes, and symbols are READ in very literally, as if -- in CL syntax --
vertical bars were put around them. (Neglecting the issue of
readtable-case here as that's probably to appliable to Clojure anyway.)

  (let ((*read-minimal-mode* t))
    (read-from-string "(:::foo #+ bar)"))  =>  (|:::foo| |#+| |bar|)

Reading of strings (and other data structures) depends on whether their
reader macros are active. Hopefully that's orthogonal in Clojure, too,
already.

  -T.