[slime-devel] broken clojure REPL

Steven E. Harris seh at panix.com
Sat Jan 9 17:07:51 UTC 2010

"Tobias C. Rittweiler" <tcr at freebits.de> writes:

> I think I was told that the issue of two colons is not insurmountable.

I was just basing that prohibition on what I see in Clojure 1.1.0 today
by evaluating

,----
| (read-string "swank::+foo+")
`----

which yields

,----
| java.lang.Exception: Invalid token: swank::+foo+
`----

Note that the `symbol' function does allow constructing a symbol with
the offending colons:

,----
| > (symbol "swank::+foo+")
| swank::+foo+
`----

Again, though, the Clojure reader documentation warns:

  A symbol can contain one or more non-repeating ':'s.

While the `symbol' function isn't enforcing that restriction, it looks
like the /reader/ doesn't intend to accept such a symbol.

> I have not made such a recommendation in my previous mail.

Then I misunderstood your intent. Rereading, is your proposal that there
should be a reader mode that interprets characters only to resolve them
to numbers and symbols? How about delimited strings?

> CL should have been made to provide such a minimal reading mode, too.
>
> Clojure, unlike ANSI CL, has the chance to make it happen.
>
> Please try to make it happen.

I'm just coming to Clojure in the last couple of weeks (not wanting to
dive in without SLIME), so I don't yet know how receptive the maintainer
is to such suggestions. And first, I and others need to better
understand what you're proposing.

--
Steven E. Harris