[slime-devel] newbie question

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Fri Jan 8 10:01:55 UTC 2010

Mark Evenson <evenson at panix.com> writes:

> On 1/5/10 1:58 AM, brian wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am not a lisp/emacs person. I am running emacs 23 in cygwin in winxp.
>> I installed elpa. It more or less works. For instance when I do 'm-X
>> package-list-packages'  the various packages are listed. I know to use
>> 'I' then 'x'
>> to intstantiate them. For example, the 'bubbles' game package I can run
>> m-X bubbles and some other packages fine.
>>
>> Slime is listed there as installed, and slime.el is listed under my
>> emacs.d directory, but when I 'm-X slime ', reply  "no match"
>
> You should contact the maintainers(s) of elpa who packaged SLIME as this
> mailing list (usually) only supports the installation/running of SLIME
> directly from CVS HEAD.
>
> If you are looking for a completely packaged FOSS Emacs+SLIME+Lisp
> solution, you might try [Lispbox][1],
>
> [1]: http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/lispbox.html

Adlai Chandrasekhar has put some work into renewing the Lispbox bundle;
in particular, he added ClozureCL into the mix which works on Windows,
too, and integrates much better into Slime.

The sources can be found at http://github.com/adlai/Lispbox

I'm not sure how accurate the build instructions are (README.source
contains a link to Slime 1.2...)

Perhaps Adlai also provides prebuilt packages. I CC'd him.

  -T.