[slime-devel] minor slime ui improvement: SLIME-OTHER-FRAME

Jesse Alama jesse.alama at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 15:46:35 UTC 2010

I usually keep my repl in another emacs frame, so I usually do this
when starting a new lisp session:

- open the lisp code I want to work on,
- M-x slime
- C-x b to switch back to the lisp buffer
- C-x 5 b to switch to the lisp buffer

These utilities might help with that kind of usage:

(defun slime-other-frame (&optional command coding-system)
  "Start an inferior^_superior Lisp and connect to its Swank server
in a new frame."
  (interactive)
  (let ((buf (generate-new-buffer "slime")))
    (switch-to-buffer-other-frame buf)
    (slime command coding-system)))

(defun slime-other-frame-switch-back (&optional command coding-system)
  "Start an inferior^_superior Lisp and connect to its Swank
server in a new frame, then switch back to the frame where this
command was invoked."
  (interactive)
  (let ((new-buf (generate-new-buffer "slime"))
	(current-buf (current-buffer)))
    (switch-to-buffer-other-frame new-buf)
    (slime command coding-system)
    (switch-to-buffer-other-frame current-buf)))

Comments welcome.

Best,

JEsse