[slime-devel] C-c C-k, swank-compile-file, and compile-file's failurep

Tobias C Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Aug 21 08:03:57 UTC 2010

Should C-c C-k try to load a resulting fasls file ALWAYS?

Should it only do so if COMPILE-FILE did not return
T as failurep?

>From glancing, SBCL's and CMUCL's swank backends do the latter.
Most other backends use an implementation dependent :LOAD
keyword argument to COMPILE-FILE which I haven't checked what
their semantics are on this matter. I wouldn't be surprised
if the differ.

The thing is that I sometimes want the first behaviour (early
stage of development), sometimes the latter (precious state
in the image).

If C-c C-k always loaded, you could get the other behaviour by
using C-c M-k instead (compile only) and C-c C-l afterwards
if compilation didn't fail.

If C-c C-k regarded failurep, you could force loading
afterwards by C-c C-l.

So both behaviours are available. I just pledge for consistency
across backends.

  -T.