[slime-devel] buffer readtables

Sidney Markowitz sidney at sidney.com
Sun Sep 27 20:13:16 UTC 2009

Helmut Eller wrote, On 28/9/09 7:21 AM:
> First let me say that I have little sympathy for custom readtables.
> People who use custom syntax are fighting their tools.

Can you say a little more about this? The only time I've used a custom
readtable was when I was implementing a custom non-Lisp language for the
application that was purpose-designed for the applications and its
users, using a custom readtable and macros to translate the application
language into s-expressions and then taking it from there in Lisp. One
advantage was that user scripts could be compiled into fasls.

I didn't have a problem with the result, but I would like to hear the
arguments for doing it a better way if I ever do something similar in
the future.

  -- sidney