[slime-devel] buffer readtables

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Sun Sep 27 19:58:09 UTC 2009

* Tobias C. Rittweiler [2009-09-27 21:24+0200] writes:

> Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:
>> I would prefer to fold the context arguments into the sexp and pass
>> them down to the with-buffer-syntax macro.
>
> Sure, I'll do it this way then. What is the reason that you prefer it?

It feels cleaner to me.  A general RPC server doesn't need to know about
buffers.  Not all RPCs need a buffer context, e.g. list-all-packages,
but some like compile-string need the buffer filename and buffer
position but it makes little sense to include that in every message.

For those RPCs which actually need buffer context (admittedly many) it's
also not so bad to see the context as lexical argument.  Certainly
better than sending it twice as done currently for e.g. completion.

Helmut