[slime-devel] broken clojure REPL

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Tue Nov 17 20:46:49 UTC 2009

"Stefan Kamphausen" <skampi at gmx.net> writes:

> Hi Tobias,
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:04:21 +0100 Von: "Tobias C. Rittweiler"
>> <tcr at freebits.de> An: slime-devel at common-lisp.net Betreff: Re:
>> [slime-devel] broken clojure REPL
>
>> "Stefan Kamphausen" <skampi at gmx.net> writes:
> [...]
>> > While I understand that it would be nice to have a real symbol
>> > denoting the current cursor position, it feels rather hackish to
>> > me (and it /kills/ the swank-threads in Clojure).  Would you mind
>> > replacing it with a not-so-special string?  As far as I can tell,
>> > the code wouldn't need to change too much (cases of eq would
>> > probably become string= or something like that in a few places,
>> > but I may be wrong).
>>  Using true symbols feels hackish to you but using strings which may
>> legitimately appear as buffer forms does not? Uhm. :-)
>
> Of course your are right.  Having something definitive like a symbol
> is way better than a not-so-special string like "*HERE*" or something.
> The thing that feels strange to me is to create a symbol in elisp
> which uses the naming rules from common-lisp.

Elisp is pretty liberal on what it allows as symbol names.

> Maybe another symbol name would be possible, hard for me to say,
> especially when dealing with packages/namespaces. A string is just a
> quick and easy solution, without being as robust as a symbol.

You didn't answer the important question:

> > Clojure seems to conflate how symbols are named, and how they're
> > read in. Is there no way to escape symbol names?

I can change %cursor-marker% to have a symbol name that's nicer for
clojure to cope with. But it would be an interim solution, only. I
really want to see this fixed in Clojure.

At the moment, the Clojure backend does not correctly implement parsing
the protocol.

  -T.