[slime-devel] copying result from minibuffer

Tamas K Papp tkpapp at gmail.com
Sat May 2 19:03:44 UTC 2009

On Sat, 02 May 2009 12:36:51 -0400, Mark Harig wrote:

> Tamas K Papp wrote:
>> When I evaluate something, eg with C-x C-e, the result appears in the
>> minibuffer.  Is there a way I can copy it from there?  It would be nice
>> to paste it into e-mails etc, but when I press a key it disappears.
>>
>  From the description of C-x C-e:
>
> "...Interactively, with prefix argument, print output into current
> buffer."
>
> So, C-u C-x C-e will print the output of the evaluated expression in the
> current buffer.
>
> See also, (info "(emacs)Lisp Eval"):
>
>    "If `C-x C-e', or `M-:' is given a numeric argument, it inserts the
> value into the current buffer at point, rather than displaying it in the
> echo area.  The argument's value does not matter."

Thank you Mark (and also Dmitry).  This works, but it is a bit
inconvenient, eg if I am evaluating a SEXP that is inside another one,
then the result is inserted there, eg using C-u C-x C-e before the
last ) on (+ 1 (+ 2 3)) gives (+ 1 (+ 2 3)5).

Is there a way to put the output either in the killring or a register?

Thanks,

Tamas