[slime-devel] unhooking from slime before saving sbcl core?

Michael Hannemann mrh3 at pobox.com
Mon Mar 2 03:19:39 UTC 2009

Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
>Michael Hannemann <mrh3 at pobox.com> writes:
>
>>  When I write a core image out from SBCL which I'm talking to via
>>  SLIME, then try to load it from the command line without SLIME, I get
>>  a long stream of warning messages.  This happens immediately on
>>  startup.  I've deleted my .sbclrc file so user init is not to blame.
>>  (Also, when I start up SBCL from the shell, this doesn't happen.)
>
>It is not a good idea trying to invoke SB-EXT:SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE while
>Slime is connected to a running SWANK server.
>
>Forking first, and then invoking it, is a somewhat better idea, although
>I'm not certain (and not knowledgeable enough) about how good it really
>is. There's a SWANK-BACKEND:SAVE-IMAGE function which, on SBCL, goes the
>fork route but does not seem to work at all right now.

I actually am forking first, but I didn't want to complicate the
discussion unnecessarily.  It took me a while to determine it was
possible, since apart from an offhand reference in the SBCL manual,
there was no documentation anywhere for SBCL forking itself, but I
stumbled across the sb-posix contributed module and all was well.

So:  How do I turn SWANK off in a child lisp which is about to save-and-die?

Also: Is there a good way of detecting that a SWANK server is running
in the first place, other than seeing if (find-package :swank)
returns something?

Thanks again,

Michael