[slime-devel] SLIME writing repeatedly on closed streams. (LOG-OUTPUT on Lispworks)

Madhu enometh at meer.net
Mon Jul 20 03:54:04 UTC 2009

Here is another situation, this time with LOG-OUTPUT on Lispworks.

On Lispworks, when calling CREATE-SERVER is called from the IDE,
*LOG-OUTPUT* gets initialized to the listener pane's output stream.
When this listener goes away, (say the window is closed), *LOG-OUTPUT*
points to a non-existant stream, and subsequently writing to this stream
causes errors. (On LWL this can eventually crash the lisp process).

[This dept. (logging errors incorrectly) has been a source of headaches
for me for a long time.  The changes in code the dept. have only made
maintaining workarounds more difficult, and have not satisfactorily
addressed the failure modes (under which it fails).  I suggest that
Slime should report error-producing errors only on a file stream over
which it has total control.]

--
Madhu