[slime-devel] Some xemacs issues/fixes

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 01:59:25 UTC 2009

Helmut Eller wrote:
> * Raymond Toy [2009-08-15 21:16+0200] writes:
>
>> Helmut Eller wrote:
>>> I there an easy way to build XEmacs from source?  I mean a way that
>>> doesn't require me to mess around with the f'ing package system and that
>>> makes the .el files accessible?
>> I grab the source tarball, then grab the xemacs-sumo packages tarball
>> and the xemacs-mule-sumo packages tarball (if you enable mule/unicode).
>>  Pick a directory where you want to install the xemacs binary, and
>> extract the sumo tarballs in lib/xemacs.  I never play around with the
>> package system.
>
> The sumo tarballs don't contain the source, AFAICT.

That's odd.  My xemacs-sumo-2007-04-27.tar.bz2 contains source.  I
didn't check everything, but for every elc I checked, I have an el file.

>>> I'll disable slime-autodoc for XEmacs as it is based and eldoc and the
>>> eldoc in XEmacs is from 2003 which doesn't have the hooks needed for
>>> slime-autodoc.
>> Ok, but I hope that doesn't disable the display to slime-typeout.  If it
>> does, I'll sorely miss that feature.
>
> No that doesn't disable slime-typeout.  But yes, slime-autodoc would be
> one of the better uses for the typeout frame.

Oh, that's cool then.

I did try the latest eldoc from emacs 22.3.  With a few tweaks, it seems
to work with xemacs.  But I haven't really tried it with slime yet.

Ray