[slime-devel] Some xemacs issues/fixes

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 19:16:49 UTC 2009

Helmut Eller wrote:
> * Raymond Toy [2009-08-15 04:42+0200] writes:
>
>> I'll take a look at next-single-char-property-change.  And I'm currently
>> using xemacs 21.5.29.
>
> I there an easy way to build XEmacs from source?  I mean a way that
> doesn't require me to mess around with the f'ing package system and that
> makes the .el files accessible?

I grab the source tarball, then grab the xemacs-sumo packages tarball
and the xemacs-mule-sumo packages tarball (if you enable mule/unicode).
 Pick a directory where you want to install the xemacs binary, and
extract the sumo tarballs in lib/xemacs.  I never play around with the
package system.

Are there no binaries for your platform?

>> You're right.  I thought it was working, but, in fact, it prints
>> messages about Elisp functions.
>>
>> The slime typeout window, however, does print the correct thing.  It's
>> kind of funny.  If I type "(push " in the repl, the minibuffer gives the
>> elisp definition, but the typeout window has the Lisp (cmucl) definition.
>
> Space triggers the Slime command that displays the correct arglist.
> eldoc runs from a timer or post-command-hook.
>
> I'll disable slime-autodoc for XEmacs as it is based and eldoc and the
> eldoc in XEmacs is from 2003 which doesn't have the hooks needed for
> slime-autodoc.

Ok, but I hope that doesn't disable the display to slime-typeout.  If it
does, I'll sorely miss that feature.

However, I'll look into getting an updated eldoc into xemacs (or for
myself, at least).

Ray