[slime-devel] Some xemacs issues/fixes

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 02:42:22 UTC 2009

Helmut Eller wrote:
> * Raymond Toy [2009-08-14 03:27+0200] writes:
>
>> One long standing bug is that xemacs' goto-char doesn't like nil.  This
>> shows up with C-x C-k and there are no warnings or errors.  I get an
>> error about nil not being an integer or marker.  It comes from
>> slime-find-note, in the loop that runs (goto-char (funcall
>> next-candidate-fn (point) 'slime-note).  I changed that so goto-char
>> isn't called if funcall returns nil.  This gets rid of the warning.
>
> goto-char wouldn't work with nil in Emacs either.  It could be that our
> emulation for next-single-char-property-change returns nil but judging
> from the code that doesn't seem possible.  Can you give a recipe to
> reproduce the bug?  C-c C-k without warnings seems to work here.

I'll take a look at next-single-char-property-change.  And I'm currently
using xemacs 21.5.29.

Here is one example where C-c C-k causes an error.  Just put this defun
into a file, load it up and C-c C-k.

(defun load-or-compile (path)
  (unless (load (compile-file-pathname path) :if-does-not-exist nil)
    (compile-file path :load t)))

> [There is some problem with M-n/M-p because XEmacs seems to forget to
> sync buffer point and window point when temporarily selecting a
> different window.]
>
>> I also noticed that slime-autodoc makes post-command-hook a buffer-local
>> hook.  It might be a bug in xemacs but the post-command-hook becomes
>> (slime-post-command-hook t).  I think that "t" causes problems.
>> Manually removing it makes it work much better.

I'm sorry, but my analysis was not complete.  With slime 2008-12-11, the
post-command-hook contains t (but no slime-post-command-hook).  This
works fine.

with current slime, however, there must be some other problem.  What I
see is when I do C-x C-f and take too long, I get an error about
(natnump t).  The backtrace says something about an internal error and
XEmacs bug? or something.

>> However, my default post-command-hook value is '(paren-highlight), so
>> when it's made buffer-local, I lose the paren-highlighting.  This used
>> to work fine with slime from 2008-11-23 or so.
>>
>> Is there something I can do to make paren-highlight still used?  I
>> really miss the paren highlighting.
>
> Does slime-autodoc anything sensible in XEmacs?  Here in XEmacs 21.4 it
> only prints messages about Elisp functions.

You're right.  I thought it was working, but, in fact, it prints
messages about Elisp functions.

The slime typeout window, however, does print the correct thing.  It's
kind of funny.  If I type "(push " in the repl, the minibuffer gives the
elisp definition, but the typeout window has the Lisp (cmucl) definition.

I'll have to poke around some more....

Ray