[slime-devel] Emacs 23 and slow compilation output

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Fri Aug 14 06:34:02 UTC 2009

* Constantine Vetoshev [2009-08-12 23:20+0200] writes:

> Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:
>
>> Hmm... this sounds like this bug:
>> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3441
>> but that was fixed before the release.
>
> Fascinating. It's certainly related. I tried this:
>
> (setq compilation-error-regexp-alist nil)
> (setq compilation-error-regexp-alist-alist nil)
>
> Which reduced the delay significantly. The minibuffer flickers a bit
> while displaying the "fontifying" message, but this made things usable
> again. Thanks :)
>
> Is there an easy way to prevent SLIME compilation messages from getting
> fontified using those regexps at all? I'm hoping for a lighter-weight
> solution than just clobbering these variables.

Unfortunately not.  Perhaps you can remove only some of the inefficient
regexp.

You can also set slime-compilation-finished to nil to disable
the compilation log buffer entirely.  You would still get the
annotations in the source buffer.

> I tried emacs -nw and Slime compilation went back to its usual
> snappiness. I also tried recompiling the package without xft, but that
> did not make a difference.

Are you sure that this is the same Emacs?  If the slowness is caused by
the regexp then the terminal version would also be effected.

Helmut