[slime-devel] Re: bogus Error: "Local socket address already in use"

Roman Budzianowski roman.j at budzianowski.net
Thu Sep 18 00:10:49 UTC 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 1:24 AM, Helmut Eller wrote:

> * Roman Budzianowski [2008-09-16 02:46+0200] writes:
>>
>> Two things:
>>
>> 1. I am running a reverse ssh tunnel on port 6666
>
> Does that mean that ssh is listening on 6666?  That would be a
> sensible
> explanation for the error.

I am not sure how the reverse tunnel works in ssh, but obviously ssh
is not listening on the port in the normal sense.
The purpose of the tunnel is to do port mapping in effect. I had been
using a forward tunnel before which initiates on the client.
Reverse tunnel originates on the server.

>> 2. After taking the default restart, the connection actually works.
>
> The connection works after invoking the abort restart?  It's hard to
> imagine that you had a working connection without creating a listening
> socket.  It's more likely that some other process was actually
> listening
> on 6666, perhaps an old Swank server.

I can repeat the scenario. I get the error, then ^D and the swank
server is running fine.
I connect remotely on port 6666 and get the repl. I type (exit) and
the very same lisp image exits.

CL-USER(1): (swank:create-server :port 6666)
Error: "Local socket address already in use" (errno 98) occured while
creating a passive socket on 127.0.0.1 port 6666 .
   [condition type: SOCKET-ERROR]

Restart actions (select using :continue):
  0: Return to Top Level (an "abort" restart).
  1: Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.
[1] CL-USER(2): :pop
CL-USER(2): mp:*all-processes*
(#<MULTIPROCESSING:PROCESS Swank 6666(50) waiting for input @
#x12ad9df002>
  #<MULTIPROCESSING:PROCESS Initial Lisp Listener(49) @ #x12ac225892>)
CL-USER(3):

>> I had no problem with a previous version. This is in allegro.
>
> SLIME's source code for creating connections didn't change recently.

I tried older swank and I got the same error - my mistake.