[slime-devel] Re: bogus Error: "Local socket address already in use"

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Tue Sep 16 08:24:37 UTC 2008

* Roman Budzianowski [2008-09-16 02:46+0200] writes:

> I just updated slime. I get the following error:
>
> CL-USER(1): (swank:create-server :port 6666)
> Error: "Local socket address already in use" (errno 98) occured while
> creating a passive socket on 127.0.0.1 port 6666 .
>   [condition type: SOCKET-ERROR]
>
> Restart actions (select using :continue):
>  0: Return to Top Level (an "abort" restart).
>  1: Abort entirely from this (lisp) process.
>
> Two things:
>
> 1. I am running a reverse ssh tunnel on port 6666

Does that mean that ssh is listening on 6666?  That would be a sensible
explanation for the error.

> 2. After taking the default restart, the connection actually works.

The connection works after invoking the abort restart?  It's hard to
imagine that you had a working connection without creating a listening
socket.  It's more likely that some other process was actually listening
on 6666, perhaps an old Swank server.

> I had no problem with a previous version. This is in allegro.

SLIME's source code for creating connections didn't change recently.