[slime-devel] Re: Serverside Sources

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Tue Jul 29 21:29:38 UTC 2008

* Dr. Helmut G. Enders [2008-07-29 19:11+0200] writes:

> (slime-compile-and-load-file) calls (swank:compile-file-for-emacs.. and
>   then (compile-file ...  on the swank side.
>
>   The HSpec says that the input-file parameter of the 'compile-file' -
>   function is a 'pathname designator' and this can be "a stream
>   associated with a file.."  Can I, within swank, fetch the file from
>   the emacs side, e.g. with scp and give that stream as the input-file
>   parameter to compile-file...

You could probably use swank::eval-in-emacs to fetch the file.

>   Do you think it's work a try, or is it more 'not worth a straw',

I'm not sure what you what you want to achieve.

Passing something other than a filename to compile-file sounds like a
unusual thing to do.  But it's probably quicker to implement than to
discuss the pros and cons via email :-)

>   (...then lisp doesn't know the source place of the function, does it?)

That probably depends on the implementation.  If the lisp uses whatever
file-namestring/file-position returns on the stream, everything should
be fine.