[slime-devel] Re: Serverside Sources

Dr. Helmut G. Enders helmut at cybernetic-systems.de
Tue Jul 29 17:11:23 UTC 2008

 > Helmut Eller wrote:
 >
 >> I'm looking for a solution, to keep the source files
 >> locally, on my laptop (near my emacs).
 >
 > If you just need a webserver on the remote machine, I would recommend to
 > install a webserver on the laptop and to develop most of the time on the
 > laptop only.

One of our application coordinates different stocks of a company.
It is a nearly 1 G Image and we have to change things remote.
Slime works like a charm!!! Requests from users can be solved within
Minutes.

and Michael Weber wrote:
 > GNU Emacs also has something called "File Shadowing" which could be used:
 > http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/File-Shadowing.html

Thanks, I haven't known that.

 > Instead of slime-compile-file you could use slime-compile-region (on the
 > entire buffer).  This doesn't copy the file to the remote machine but
 > M-. etc. should work as long as the buffer exists.
 >
 > If you don't mind to change SLIME, you could create a command which
 > copies the file, either with scp or via SLIME's connection, before
 > calling slime-compile-file.  Additionally you can set
 > slime-from-lisp-filename-function and slime-to-lisp-filename-function so
 > that the Lisp side loads the remote copy but reports compiler messages
 > etc. on the local file.
 >
 > If the filename translation functions are setup properly, the following
 > should work:
 >

 > (defun my-compile-file ()
 >   (interactive)
 >   (slime-eval `(swank:overwrite-file
 > 		,(slime-to-lisp-filename (buffer-file-name))
 > 		,(buffer-substring-no-properties (point-min) (point-max))))
 >   (slime-compile-and-load-file))
 >

 > (swank::defslimefun swank::overwrite-file (filename string)
 >   (with-open-file (stream filename :direction :output
 > 			  :if-exists :supersede
 > 			  :if-does-not-exist :create)
 >     (write-sequence string stream)
 >     (finish-output stream))
 >   t)

Thanks, that's :-) nearly :-) what I want.

(slime-compile-and-load-file) calls (swank:compile-file-for-emacs.. and
   then (compile-file ...  on the swank side.

   The HSpec says that the input-file parameter of the 'compile-file' - function
    is a 'pathname designator' and this can be  "a stream associated with a file.."
   Can I, within swank, fetch the file from the emacs side, e.g. with scp and
   give that stream as the input-file parameter to compile-file...

   Do you think it's work a try, or is it more 'not worth a straw',

   (...then lisp doesn't know the source place of the function, does it?)

 > Helmut.
ditto.