[slime-devel] More features by default

Luis Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 10:53:02 UTC 2008

Sidney Markowitz <sidney at sidney.com> writes:

> Zach Beane wrote, On 28/12/08 3:43 PM:
>> I disagree. I think the default slime setup should have no contribs
>> loaded, not the arbitrary slime-fancy kitchen sink of contribs loaded.
>
> I agree with you. I have just set up the default installation of the
> slime plugin for Aquamacs to load slime-fancy and some other contrib
> modules.

You think slime-fancy shouldn't be loaded by default, yet you make it so
in your plugin? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. clbuild loads
slime-fancy by default as well, and I've seen that setup being
recommended in #lisp and c.l.l before. Clearly, for a lot of users, that
is the de facto default. Why not take it a step further?

> Even though I like slime-fancy enough to do that, I would not
> want to confuse people by having the loading of some set of modules
> hidden in a default value of an optional argument.

I fail to see how that's confusing, really. Particularly if it's
documente. That's how default settings work. That's what 'by default'
means, IIUC.

> This way, whatever we choose for the default installation on slime on
> Aquamacs will be explicit in the setup-slime call in the
> initialization file and easily modified by anyone who has different
> preferences.

You are free to keep an explicit contrib list in your Aquamacs setup. My
proposal doesn't harm that freedom at all.

--
Luís Oliveira
http://student.dei.uc.pt/~lmoliv/