[slime-devel] Re: new debugger behavior?

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Aug 9 17:16:41 UTC 2008

Carlos Konstanski <ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com> writes:

> Last week I upgraded from slime-2.0_p20070816 to slime-2.0_p20080731
> (these are the gentoo ebuild names).  We're looking at a pretty big
> jump here; these builds are a year apart.  In that year, something
> changed in the debugger that is not to my liking.  I am hoping that it
> is a feature that I can turn off.
>
> When I hit an error in my code, I no longer enter the debugger.
> Instead, I just get a printed backtrace in the REPL.  If I put a
> (break) in the code, I do enter the debugger.  I would like to enter
> the debugger on all errors, like the good old days.
>
> Does this sound like a feature that was added in the last year?  Or do
> I need to look elsewhere for the cause?

If SWANK:*GLOBAL-DEBUGGER* is T, CL:*DEBUGGER-HOOK* is globally set to
the swank debugger which means that all errors should land you into the
SLDB.

*GLOBAL-DEBUGGER* is actually T by default, so make sure that your
distribution doesn't interfere in some way (e.g. by some site-init.lisp
file in SWANK-LOADER:*source-directory*, or ~/.swank.lisp.)

When you can't find the reason yourself, please try to checkout from
CVS, and see if it works there. If it does, report the problem to the
respective Gentoo maintainer.

HTH,

  -T.