[slime-devel] Re: [RfC] SPC vs. RET in Xref Buffers

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Fri Aug 8 22:57:30 UTC 2008

Andrew Gasparovic <andrew at andrewgasparovic.com> writes:

> The way the XREF buffer works wrt. emacs windows has always seemed a
> little strange to me. When you M-. and go straight to a function
> definition (for example), the source file opens in the same window you
> were in when you hit M-. The XREF buffer opens in another one (the
> opposite one if you work with two windows side by side, as I do).
>
> That's not bad by itself, but pressing SPACE on one of the definitions
> has the nasty side-effect of ruining my window layout. It replaces
> both windows with one to display the source file. So if I just want to
> go to a particular definition's source file, I either have to accept
> that and reset my windows by hand, or press ENTER, kill the XREF
> buffer, and switch to the other window with the source buffer.

I always work with two frames side by side. That said, I believe SPACE
should now work a bit better even with your setup.

> Am I missing something? It seems like other people would be
> experiencing this more often, but I've never heard anyone
> complaining....

In the long run, I'd like to have `C-u q' always restore the window
configuration (not there yet), and `C-x k' never (where it's still made
sure that potential cleanup functions are run) across all relevant
buffers.

`q' restores the window configuration only if it hasn't changed
meanwhile. This works quite reasonable when you use frames, not so much
when you use a horizontally split windows, I guess. Anyway, if the
abovely pictured scheme is in place, you'll have full control over it.

  -T.