[slime-devel] Re: slime-complete-symbol Compound mode?

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Tue Nov 20 21:41:25 UTC 2007

* Alan Caulkins [2007-11-20 06:03+0100] writes:

> Does anyone know the working status of slime-complete-symbol-function?
> The "compound" mode is a very important feature for me, but I can't
> get it to work anymore. I remember reading that some work had been
> done on that portion of the code, and that this functionality was not
> enabled by default. The manual says that it can be set through Emacs'
> SLIME customization group, but when I do so, I get the following in my
> messages log:
>
>        funcall: Symbol's function definition is void: slime-complete-symbol*
>
> The story is the same with slime-fuzzy-complete-symbol, and also if I
> set the slime-complete-symbol-function directly using setf in
> Emacs. It seems that the only one of the three options for which
> symbol-function is set is 'slime-simple-complete-symbol.

These days, slime-complete-symbol* is in a contrib package. You have
to load that before you can use it.  The manual hasn't been updated
properly.

The steps to execute are:

1. make sure that your contrib directory is current with: "cvs update -d"

2. edit your .emacs and add something like:

   (add-to-list 'load-path ".../slime/contrib")
   (slime-setup '(slime-c-p-c))

3. restart Emacs