[slime-devel] bug report - slime inspector + lispworks

Mac Chan emailmac at gmail.com
Mon May 14 20:45:32 UTC 2007

I finally bite the bullet and upgrade to CVS slime from slime-2.0 but it is not
a smooth ride.

I ended up spending hours reverting changes to my development
environment after I discovered that slime-inspector is broken in
lispworks.

So at least I want to file a report here in case any lispworks user considering
to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

I typed these in the slime-repl

(defstruct rect x y)
(defparameter *rect* (make-rect :x 1 :y 2))

M-x slime-inspect
*rect*

and it will send emacs/lispworks into infinitely loop. Lispworks and emacs both
freeze and I don't know how to debug it.

This happens in both the windows and linux version of lispworks 5.0.2.

I haven't tracked slime development closely but comparing the defpackage form
between slime-2.0 and slime-cvs I noticed the following new symbols are exported

>  "*DEBUG-ON-SWANK-ERROR*"
>  "*DONT-CLOSE*"
>  "*INSPECTOR-DWIM-LOOKUP-HOOKS*"
<  "CREATE-SWANK-SERVER"
>  "INSPECT-FOR-EMACS"
>  "INSPECT-IN-EMACS"
>  "INSPECT-SLOT-FOR-EMACS"
>  "RUN-AFTER-INIT-HOOK"

so I'm suspecting that the INSPECT-* code might cause this problem,
but it is a wild guess.

If you want me to provide any more details please let me know.

Thanks,
-- mac