[slime-devel] Re: slime-apropos-package doesn't work with readtable-case = :invert

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Wed Jan 24 13:16:18 UTC 2007

Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche at math.ntnu.no> writes:

> The subject says it all, I think.  I run my lisps with
>
> (setf (readtable-case *readtable*) :invert)
>
> and if I try C-c C-d C-p cl-user <RET> I get the error:
>
> No such package: "CL-USER"
>
> The reason being as follows:
>
> slime-apropos-package calls slime-read-package-name
> which does a completing-read on the result of
> (swank:list-all-package-names t) which simply returns all package
> names as strings:  In particular, they are all typically upper case.

the "problem" here is that the completions are leading you to supply
the wrong package name. I assume that if you ignored the completions
and wrote the package-names yourself, in lower case, everything would
Just Work right?

> Surely, there is some inconsistency, but I can't tell which part can
> be corrected without introducing another inconsistency.

i think we can make swank:list-all-package-names smarter, but i
wouldn't touch anything post completing-read (iow i wouldn't change
how we process package names but, at most, how we help the user type
them)

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.