[slime-devel] slime-apropos-package doesn't work with readtable-case = :invert

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Mon Jan 22 08:22:20 UTC 2007

The subject says it all, I think.  I run my lisps with

(setf (readtable-case *readtable*) :invert)

and if I try C-c C-d C-p cl-user <RET> I get the error:

No such package: "CL-USER"

The reason being as follows:

slime-apropos-package calls slime-read-package-name
which does a completing-read on the result of
(swank:list-all-package-names t) which simply returns all package
names as strings:  In particular, they are all typically upper case.

So the package name is passed to swank:apropos-list-for-emacs which
calls (find-package (string-to-package-designator package)), and
swank::string-to-package-designator passes the string through
read-from-string, ending with a symbol whose name is all lower case.
But :|cl-user| does not designated a package.

Surely, there is some inconsistency, but I can't tell which part can
be corrected without introducing another inconsistency.

- Harald