_[slime-devel]_Can't_install_slime_due_to_variable_depth_errors-_how_to_debug??=

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sat Feb 17 16:50:24 UTC 2007

+ public at raburgess.com:

| Harald Hanche-Olson wrote:
| > Try to set debug-on-error to t (M-x set-variable RET
| > debug-on-error RET t RET). When the error occurs, you
| > should get dumped in the emacs lisp debugger.
|
| I have already tried this and I do not get dumped into the debugger!

Oh, okay.  I don't know why, either.  Perhaps the errant code is
wrapped in ignore-errors or something.

| Does this effectively leave me without a hope of solving this problem?

No, but it just might mean I am not the right person to advice.  There
are others on the list with vastly more knowledge than I, but that
doesn't stop me from trying.  Anyway, have you tried (require 'tramp)
before even loading slime?  If that fails, then slime is not to blame.

If tramp is broken in your setup you might be able to do without it.
Only two functions in slime.el reference tramp, so this might not be
too hard.

Your original message seems to imply that the problem is with
installing slime?  That leaves me puzzled, since I thought installing
slime was merely a question of copying the files to a suitable
location.  Does the error happen when you try M-x slime?  Or at some
other stage in the process?

- Harald