[slime-devel] SWANK and *read-eval*

Matthias Koeppe mkoeppe+slime at mail.math.uni-magdeburg.de
Sun Aug 26 21:20:39 UTC 2007

"Tobias C. Rittweiler" <tcr at freebits.de> writes:

> *read-eval* is currently set to T everywhere something is READ. While I
>  don't currently see anything that could be (at least easily)
>  exploitable, it still leaves an uneasy feeling in my
>  stomach. Especially in the present of things like autodoc.

As I explained before, we cannot use READ in the context of autodoc
anyway because of interning.

The use of READ on protocol messages is safe because these messages,
as constructed by SLIME, do not contain any "#."  It would not hurt
though to bind *read-eval* = nil while reading these messages.  You
don't need a new or changed macro for that.

As far as I know, all other cases where READ is used on Lisp program
text that comes from some Emacs buffer, the user has explicitly
requested the evaluation or compilation of some code, and we don't
want to refuse to evaluate code that depends on *read-eval* = t.

Matthias
--
Matthias Köppe -- http://www.math.uni-magdeburg.de/~mkoeppe
(currently @math.ucdavis.edu)