[slime-devel] Re: contrib branch

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Aug 25 07:49:21 UTC 2007

Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:

> I plan to incrementally move quite a bit of code to contrib.  More or
> less the stuff that wasn't present in 1.0.

Nice work, Helmut! I'd like to suggest at this point to provide two
"default configurations" -- one without contribs and one with all
contribs.

So the user can simply put `(require 'slime-minimal)' or `(require
'slime-all-contribs)' into their ~/.emacs. The names are just examples;
they could also be `slime-1.x' and `slime-2.x'.

This has the two following advantages:

  i) it makes the transition easier.

 ii) as I think most people will stick to the latter by default, it's
     easier to deal with bug reports, and reproduce bugs because there's
     one common "everything enabled" that you can talk very concretely
     about. ("Do you use the 2.x config? If not, can you reproduce the
     problem there?" -- and then it's even easier for developers who
     don't use every contrib to get a handle at the problem, because
     they just have to temporarily switch to this config.)

  -T.